Any Priesthood Holder can trace his authority back to Peter, James, and John who conferred the Melchizedek Priesthood on the Prophet Smith.
Tracing your line of authority fulfills the scripture in D&C 42:11 that it may be “known to the church that he has authority and has been regularly ordained by the heads of the church.”
The priesthood was restored to Joseph Smith by the laying on of hands by in May 1829 by John the Baptist (Aaronic Priesthood) and later on by Peter, James, and John (Melchizedek Priesthood). On April 3, 1836, Moses, Elijah, and Elias restored additional priesthood keys. In the D&C we learn that importance of the priesthood, when priesthood holders are exhorted that, "Wherefore, as ye are agents, ye are on the Lord's errand; and whatever ye do according to the will of the Lord is the Lord's business" (D&C 64:29).
- President Thomas S. Monson
Importance of knowing your line of authority.
In 1994, the Church announced that it would no longer trace a member’s Priesthood Line of Authority. The Church left it to each priesthood holder to track his own line of authority. In 2001, the Church recognized the importance of this record are returned to recording this important information.
Requesting your line of authority
A Melchizedek Priesthood line of authority may be requested for:
- Any Melchizedek Priesthood holder living in the same household as the requester.
- A young man currently serving a full-time mission.
- A deceased ancestor.
How to request:
2) To receive the priesthood line of authority request form, type the letters PLA in the subject line.
3) Instructions for completing the request form and receiving the priesthood line of authority by email will be included in the return email.