Top 5 Ways to Grow Your Testimony During Home Church
We are getting sparks of hope that life is beginning to settle down a bit. Some church meetings are back in place, others are in the works. Regardless, church at home is still an available option for many.
As a young mother, I often felt discouraged after meetings, wondering why I bothered to go when my little one often interrupted, forcing me out of meetings and classes. With church at home, the pressure has been removed for families with young children who are now free to conduct their worship in ways that can include the smallest of them. No matter if you are empty nesters, recently single, or never married, home church can be an enlightening, spiritual experience. Here are a few suggestions to strengthen your church-at-home experience.
- Use sacred music in your Sabbath worship. There is little else that can bring in the Spirit with such strength and power within only moments. With a growing list of resources available to us, you can find a variety of music that can uplift you on the Sabbath day.
- Come Follow me has been a huge blessing! There is no doubt in my mind that the Savior guides His Church. The procedures and programs implemented over the last five years have ultimately led us to a way to stay connected even though we are not together often. Isn’t it awesome to know that wherever we live in the world, other members are studying the same topics? Your testimony will be strengthened as you study the scriptures through the Come Follow Me program. Through its principles, we not only learn what to study but how to study.
- Has anyone else noticed the increase of broadcasts, podcasts, and messages on social media lately? It is incredible to see how “accessible” our wonderful leaders are. They are using various platforms to truly reach out and connect with children, youth, and adults. The face-to-face programs may be intended for the youth, but I gain great insight into who I am raising and how the Lord is working in the world through these messages. My testimony increases as I listen to inspired words and see His hand in the world. Study these messages, glean the treasures from their words as members and leaders learn together.
- YouTube has seemed to explode with videos on Church History, Come Follow Me resources, the happenings in Jerusalem, conference addresses, and many members sharing their own personal study notes. You can find videos for nearly any topic you wish. I find it helpful to pray for wisdom to discern truth from error as I select various videos. These are incredibly helpful ways to help me bring the Spirit as I go throughout the day.
- I often think of what President Nelson meant when he said, “We live in the day that ‘our forefathers have awaited with anxious expectation. We have front-row seats to witness livewhat the prophet Nephi saw only in vision,that ‘the power of the Lamb of God’ would descend ‘upon the covenant people of the Lord, who were scattered upon all the face of the earth; and they were armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory.’ You, my brothers and sisters, are among those men, women, and children whom Nephi saw. Think of that!”1
I have felt the Spirit inspiring, strengthening, and lifting those members who are sincerely striving to do and be better, who hearken to the prophets with an earnest desire. As we recognize that the Lord is sending His power to His covenant people, I feel a greater desire to be worthy of it. With the greater desire to be worthy, I have made important changes to my life according to the whisperings of the Holy Ghost. We can all ask the Lord to teach us what we can change in order to have a greater measure of His Spirit. Your testimony will be strengthened as you counsel with the Savior about what to change in your life. You can enjoy the opportunities you have to grow closer to our Savior during this unique time on earth.
- “Hear Him,” President Russell M. Nelson, General Conference, April 2020